Sunday, November 23, 2014

Not so metaphorical fall

Hey....K here from a long, laborious two weeks of being at home, being fed while I lay in bed watching Netflix. Aside from the surgery that got me here, this is the life!

I think recovery has been going pretty well! If you're going to have a mastectomy, I strongly encourage you to do it prior to turning 30.

My husband has been really good with bandages, timing medicine, and drain duty. Drains are...gross. They look like the bulbs used to suck mucus from baby noses, except for the pointy part. I had four long tubes that attach the bulbs to me and there is about a foot of tube that is inside of me draining fluid.

I left the hospital with four drains and I was thrilled to get two removed on Tuesday, about a week after surgery. So happy. When we went to the plastic surgeons clinic after that, they told us they'd remove the rest on Friday and I was super bummed.

Other than that, I was feeling good, moving around more - pain was steadily decreasing.

Then, on Thursday morning, I fell down the stairs. Only half a flight, though. I'm super glad I didn't break anything and I didn't pull my drains out (all the way).

It was so depressing because I went from feeling pretty good to basically feeling like crap again. My left armpit got swollen, the drain site was super painful, and the drain fluid increased and turned pretty red. I think I overreacted a little because overall, I'm fine.

At Friday's doctor visit, they removed one more drain, now I just have one left. I'm counting the hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment