Sunday, October 25, 2015

I'm not Pink...I'm Brown

I have the cancer, but the cancer doesn't have me - and this cancer is not pink, these scars aren't pink - they are brown.

Being newly diagnosed with breast cancer in the month of October was a torturous experience. I would liken it to an electric fence that shocks you when you touch it.  But the fence is everywhere...and it's invisible... AND it can sneak up on you at any time. 

Breast Cancer Awareness Month - something that is intended to be supportive and comforting can actually be a sad reminder that your life has changed in many ways that you cannot and will not ever recover. 

Even now, my third October living with breast cancer, the commercials, ads, Facebook posts...they wear on you. I have been lucky to have found it easy to recignize the positive intentions. It's always easy to appreciate the gesture, even if I'm not a fan of the manifestation.


1) Donate to an organization that has less overhead and truly funds breast cancer research (I wouldn't be mad if it was an organization focused on Metastatic Breast Cancer...). Or...donate to a smaller, more local organization, maybe one that provides financial and other support to patients in your area.

2) Don't pink for the sake of pinking. Just because there is a pink ribbon on an item, doesn't mean you need it. If you were going to buy it anyway, that's awesome, but there is no need to go out of your way! The item's purchase results in a small donation, if it's something you were not going to get anyway, why not donate the cost of the item?

3) Make awesome things happen on a micro level. If you want to do something for those living with breast cancer, why not start with people in your life, social circle, or community? Do something nice or helpful for that person. I'm a huge fan of small gestures and they make a difference - having been on the receiving end of many kind gestures in the last few years, I can assure you - it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment